Thursday, June 14, 2012

Living Together


"We must learn to regard people less in the light of what they do or omit to do, and more in the light of what they suffer. The only profitable relationship to others—and especially to our weaker brethren—is one of love, and that means the will to hold fellowship with them. God himself did not despise humanity, but became man for men's sake." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Letters and Papers from Prison

“Saints cannot exist without a community, as they require, like all of us, nurturance by a people who, while often unfaithful, preserve the habits necessary to learn the story of God.” - Stanley Hauerwas, Critical Reflections on Stanley Hauerwas' Theology of Disability


Reading the works of theologians throughout history changed my identity over four years at university. I went in thinking that the debate between Arminianism and Calvinism over free will was the most pressing issue for the Church, or at least for me. A professor who would spend the next four years challenging me only smirked and told me there was so much missing from my questions.

This blog will deal with questions, but not questions like the one I had when I went to university; I prefer the ones I had when I left: How does Christ resolve issues of suffering, identity and hospitality in his body? What is the eternal significance of human work and play in the here and now? What does it mean to be human from the perspective of persons of disability? Stanley Hauerwas says that all theology is ethical and therefore political, so I care about reflecting theologically on life’s questions in a way that challenges the ethical and political presumptions of our societies.

The title of this blog is an adaption of Bonhoeffer’s Life Together, and this blog will reflect on what it means for the Church to image the Trinity in our world and societies. In a world of clashing identities, fraught with questions and suffering, the Church is the community of hope in this life. This community doesn’t make life easy or provide answers to all life’s questions; it just promises to work and wait together in the life of God’s Spirit, while anticipating his kingdom. As such, the Church always ought to regard others the same way that God regarded humanity in Christ. The Father did not regard the world according to what it did or didn’t do, but according to what it suffered. If the world is to receive this love of God, it must come from Jesus’ body, which he gave for mankind—his Church. This community can only perform this purpose the same way that Jesus did himself: by inviting a suffering world into its community.


6 comments:

  1. Geoff,
    Your blog looks like it will be a pleasure to read, if the first post is any indication. I look forward to learning from what you have to say!
    -Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geoff I am particularly interested in your work on the theology of disabilities. As you may know my father has been in a nursing home for about a year and a half now, and something I have been trying to talk with my mom about is how dads purpose has changed since he is no longer able to work, at least as our society would see it currently, but is still very much a vibrant part of this new community and that is where he is still finding meaning and purpose. It is something I have struggled with ever since our Theology of Work class, but it is something that God has helped my family and I with over time. If you have any resources I could look at that would be very helpful, even in my new job as the Youth pastor of Marseilles. The town itself is older and knowing that I want a portion of our ministry to be going into local nursing homes and engaging with some of the marginalized in that context as well.

    As I was reading through the blog again, I had a question, could you explain a bit more what you mean by "the Church always ought to regard others the same way that God regarded humanity in Christ. The Father did not regard the world according to what it did or didn’t do, but according to what it suffered."

    Thanks,

    Phillip Lambert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil! I'll be doing some posts on disability in the near future. If you're interested, Thomas Reynolds has a fantastic book, 'Vulnerable Communion: A Theology of Disability and Hospitality'. Moltmann, Hauerwas, and Jean Vanier all have work dealing with disability and medicine, too.

      My next post will focus on unpacking Bonhoeffer's quote and the way I used it regarding the Church and the Father.

      Delete
  3. Hey Geoff,

    I look forward to reading more. Hope Duke is going well.

    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tiffany! It's good to hear from you.

      Delete